Saturday, June 27, 2009

Hermitage, Quarterlife and my True Calling

It's a gorgeous sunny day, and I've decided to celebrate it by staying in all day writing. With occasional breaks taken to catch up on my reading. I have decided that Summer '09 is a summer I'm going to devote mainly to books. I am working on a summer reading list. Suggestions welcome and encouraged. So far I have read "The Emperor's Children" by Claire Messud which I HIGHLY recommend if you don't mind a long read. Personally, when I get immersed in a really good book I like to be there for awhile. I also read "Letters To A Young Poet" by Rainer Maria Rilke and am now reading "The Mill On The Floss" by George Eliot. I'm so freaking scholarly.

Summer used to be the time that I devoted to the other b words- boys and booze. But Chelsea O'Houlihan is turning over a new leaf if you will, and I think getting back in touch with the bookworm I used to be is a good start.

So yes, these days I can usually be found curled up with a book and a cup of tea. I may as well get a cat so I can fully embrace my sad single girl status.

The funny thing is- I'm really not that sad. I'm enjoying spending all this time with myself. Maybe I am a recluse at heart.

I've also been writing a bunch. Screenplays. Short screenplays. There's a short film festival I want to enter, so I'm trying to committ all my crazy ideas to paper, see which one has the most potential and shoot it. I really have no idea where all this ambition came from. But as many of you know, I'm a frustrated filmmaker at heart and all I really want to do is make crazy violent horror movies. And maybe star in them. I've got a helluva scream.

Maybe it's part of "growing up" that I no longer find myself having the urge to go to crazy parties and throw myself at strange men. I'd prefer to stay in with a good book or a good movie. It's not that I'm anti-social. I love my friends. I just wish we could hang out in settings that don't involve booze. I miss going to museums with people or spending a day in the park. Most nights, I'd just rather stay in with friends and play scrabble.

Just yesterday I was having a conversation with a friend about how we're both at a place in our lives where we value friendship more than sex. Does this mean we're adults? The horror.

2 comments:

mynamesnotbarbara said...

I completely agree. I am getting to the time where I don't expect to meet anyone of substance at a bar, nor would I want to. I think this is a time when people our age start realizing they're actually adults and we all need to start bettering our lives rather than leaving it at the bottom of a bottle.

So let's go join a bookclub :)

Lindsay said...

Dude...I'd rather stay in and read a good book over going out to the bar any day! And if you ever want somebody to go to a museum or go to the park or whatever, call me...I love coming down to the city for the day.