Monday, June 8, 2009

Who am I anyway? Am I my resume?

So it's been two years since I wrote in this blog. Like many things in my life, I approached starting a blog with a whole lot of passion, vim and verve. And then proceeded to write a single entry and abandon it. But I'm back, blogosphere! And I'll never leave you again. Until something else catches my wandering ADHD eye. Sidenote: The word blogosphere kind of makes my skin crawl.

Considering the fact that my last blog entry was about a year and a half ago, I am a little disheartened to see that not all that much has changed with me. Oh, certainly the drama of my personal life took various twists and turns but in terms of the big questions...well, I remain clueless. I still have no idea what to do with my life. I still work in customer service (albeit at a different job). I take comfort in the fact that most of my friends are doing the quarterlife crisis thing as well right now. Just last night I was talking with a friend about how much fun we're having in our mid-20's. And I guess it's true. I just wish that I could get my professional life at least a LITTLE bit sorted out. I think if I did that, perhaps the chaotic nature of my personal life might adapt out of necessity.

College is supposed to open all of these doors for you and help you figure out what you want to do with your life. At least, that's what I always thought it was supposed to do. Now it seems like people go to grad school for that. But I refuse to go into debt to hand over a whole bunch of money to an institution that will probably provide me with more questions than answers.

If only I had spent my life thus far gaining some kind of marketable skill, and not memorizing Freddy Krueger's snazzy one-liners and learning the lyrics to every 80's one-hit wonder known to man. If only, THESE were the kind of special skills that employers cared about.

I think I need to do some soul-searching. But who has time for that? I've got bills to pay and a whole Netflix cue of movies waiting for me.

No comments: